Is resistance training the best anti-ageing intervention with Senior Physiotherapist, Riain Casey
We have all seen Physiotherapists for many different reasons. Sometimes, it’s simply for pain relief and other times it’s for rehabilitation of an injured area. For modern day health practitioners, though, there is a growing body of evidence that points towards the benefits of exercise therapy in maintaining optimal health and preventing a range of chronic diseases. In fact, almost 25% of the worlds adults are classified as physically inactive – it’s a big issue! It’s also interesting that almost everyone knows that exercise is good for them, but some of us simply don’t get enough movement in our day.
This is where our expert Riain Casey comes in. Riain is the definition of a modern-day health practitioner that sees his role as a Physiotherapist, as much more than pain relief. In fact, he defines his purpose as to facilitate movement through physical activity promotion.
The big question for Riain is: How should we train and why?
In Episode 5 of the Well Workplaces Podcast, Riain Casey drops so many knowledge bombs on all things resistance training and physical wellbeing.
- Riain shares his journey from Ireland to Australia and his experience in treating people in various lie stages from couch potato, to athletes, corporate and elderly.
- He shares a story about realising the huge benefits of strength training during University and how he worked with one of Irelands most respected strength and conditioning groups to learn his craft.
- Riain discusses how resistance training in its basic form can be done by most of us with very little equipment
- He talks about the top five ingredients for any resistance programs
- He shares the analogy that resistance training is the best anti-ageing cream going around and all the amazing benefits
- Riain talks about how in 2020, he has had to adapt and pivot in his Physiotherapy role and how soft skills and exercise prescription have allowed him to navigate telehealth and corporate programmes
This was such a detailed and passionate discussion between Riain and Tom that I think you’ll agree that we should unpack further topics from this man.
To connect with Riain Casey please head across to @the_phit_physio on Instagram and follow his great content and expert tips on all things wellbeing and physical health.
Well Workplaces is a movement by Pinnacle Health Group. Our vision is for a world where workplaces lead and create healthier communities. Well Workplaces podcast has been designed to create genuine wellbeing conversations in the workplace and share expert knowledge in practical ways.